Ramblings from Cannock

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ramblings from Cannock

Postby Greyuu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Well, Ace Cafe run out was good, nice to see that many 1100's in one place. Not so sure about the cafe itself, without the nostalgia it felt like a themed pub almost.

Bike was faultless as always, though more damping was needed at motorway speeds. Got a little wallowy at times, will have to tune that out. Thinking of bar risers to alleviate a knot I get between the shoulder blades on long journeys. Maybe even one of those MRA screens to take some windblast off me.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Staffordshire
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 1052
Model: ZZR1100 D7

Postby Greyuu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Bought bar risers again - sold bar risers again. Just can't live with them I guess.

Damping was fine, swingarm bolt was loose. Torqued and marked to show any future movement.

Sold my Hagon shock, was just too stiff for me solo. Stock shock back on, damping is sufficient, but spring rate means the rear wheel better tracks the road, so happier overall.

Bought some tokico calipers, will rebuild/refurbish then fit, then sell my brembos. They brake amazingly well, but the suspension can't make use of the extra power. So off they go. Going to put some stock 1100 forks on, think my 1100/1200 experiment has run its course. Had got some zzr1200 forks with rebound adjusters, but will just refurb them and sell instead.

So long and short of it is I'll be changing bikes soon. I'll either sell in august, and do one more year. Got a few ride outs planned, and going to k-world at Mallory 29 July, and bikesafe at Rockingham in August. Already tried a gsx-s750, gsx-s1000 & a gsxr1000r. 750 throttle response was a mess, 1000 better, but not great. 1000r was amazing over a 100, but around town was about as self-restrained as that friend who gets mouthy at strangers walking home from the pub. Surprisingly comfy though. Plus I guess the traction control stopped me shattering every bone in my body into powder from the highside 200 bhp on plublic roads should have caused.

Next on the list is zzr1400, z900, z1000sx, zx10r if I can, but the zx12r still calls to me. Otherwise some triumph 1050 triple, speed or sprint perhaps.

All I know I still love my 1100 enough that after riding a 200 bhp superbike, I still enjoyed the ride home. I love the noise it makes, and the grunt and feel of the bike. Big long low and heavy & fast. A shame I can't justify the cost of maxton front & rear, plus big bore the engine. But then that's money towards a zx12 or zzr14. How's that for rambling lol.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Brett » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 pm

If you're in a hurry to end the process then ride the ZZR1400. I love my 11 and was doing my best to be critical on a short test ride, but the only conclusion I could make is I WANT IT! It is everything I love about my 11 but more and better.

But enjoy the decision process!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Perth [WA]
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR

Postby Greyuu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:57 pm

It does feel a bit emperors new clothes to be test riding the latest & greatest when I'm looking for used under 5 grand lol.

It's surprised me how much I've adapted my riding to fit the bike, plus how forgiving carbs are to fuel injection. So weird to just ride a bike without the rituals I've created to not upset the 11 into corners and transitions. Although ridiculously hard stock shock high speed compression damping is still in fashion. You'd think the gsxr would be set up a bit softer for us mere mortals, but it still had that kawasaki style kick up the backside to stop you relaxing. The bike didn't care, but it took me a second or two to settle afterwards! eek crying
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Well my birthday came and went, steak & beer for lunch led to eBay and the arrival of a Triumph Sprint 1050. 2005, silver and high mileage, but it's the clean break I needed to move on. I've already replaced missing bolts, sorted shocking clutch/throttle slack, rebuilt the floppiest gear lever/linkage known to man and bent the brake pedal back.

The zzr went on eBay, and sold for 800 quid. Less than I wanted, but I needed the space. Some guy from Surrey who'll pick up next weekend (hopefully). I'll point him in this direction lol.

So differences & comparison I hear you shout. Power wise the sprint has the torque, zzr top end is much greater. So the sprint is a better urban tool, mainly due to the weight difference. In fact it feels practically lightweight moving & paddling it around. Clutch engagement is quite far out from the bar, so I'm struggling to adapt to that. Fuel injection is not kind to my zzr adapted riding style, and the easier tip in and nice front brakes are offset by the squarest rear tyre I've ever seen. Intake noise is meh, but stock exhaust is deep with a lovely burble on the overrun. I know I'll miss the top end power and the intake roar, but the handling and weight loss are everything I wanted the zzr to be. Really comfy too without being billy upright. Underseat exhaust and single sided swingarm look sweet too.

I love my zzr, and having had a c2 for a year, and my D7 for four years, I'll always cherish the memories, feeling and pride of owning one of motorcyclings greatest bikes.

I'll add any nuggets I've learned over the years into the appropriate forum posts, and keep my account active should anyone want to private message me at some point about any of my prior rantings. All that's left is to say thank you for all your help.

Toodle pipski. Clown
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Brett » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:07 am

Post some pics!

Don't be too scarce!

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Perth [WA]
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR

Postby Confusion » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:19 pm

Greyuu wrote:Well my birthday came and went, steak & beer for lunch led to eBay and the arrival of a Triumph Sprint 1050.....

Best of luck with the new bike. I always fancied a Triumph triple.

I'll add any nuggets I've learned over the years into the appropriate forum posts, and keep my account active should anyone want to private message me at some point about any of my prior rantings.

Keep in touch. When things are quiet, your 'ramblings' are the the only thing
that keeps the forum ticking over.
Confusion
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Cork
Model: ZZ-R1100 D5

Previous

Return to ZZR 1100 / ZX11