Replacement Fairing From China

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Replacement Fairing From China

Postby Shaunlacy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:02 am

Mornin all,

As you may be aware from previous posts I have been looking to spruce the old girl up. Unfortunately the top/nose fairing was quite badly damaged. I have been looking to get it repaired /resprayed with no luck so I looked on various sites for a replacement. The ones I did find for sale were in the same repair as mine. I then saw on Fleabay a copy made in China. After much deliberation I took the plunge and bought it. £120.00

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, the paint was poor and it was only a thin, single skin over the whole body of it, and the engineering looked quite poor. I know I only paid £120.00 for it, but I was willing to pay a lot more for the right thing. However, a few weeks ago I dropped my precious at low speed (diesel spill) and completely knackered the fairing, so reluctantly fitted the copy. It was difficult. I have managed to fit it, but it is a poor fit. I can, and will ride it but I don't like it!!!

The question is this: Is there anyone out there who can repair/respray my old fairing???

Also a word caution: be careful if buying Chinese copies!!!
Shaunlacy
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Hyde Manchester
My Bike Make: Kawasaki,
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR D

Re: Replacement Fairing From China

Postby Copernicus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:59 pm

The good ól diesel spill........been there, done that!
Plenty of people can repair/spray your old fairings......but it ain't cheap. I do my own simply because I spent 30 plus years doing it as a living. It is an expensive little job to get someone to do it. You would be better buying a hot staple machine which also welds plastic.....pretty cheap. I have one and have repaired not only fairings, but other plastic objects. Simple to use, plenty of tuition on utube. Once you repair them, prepare the fairings for primer, then get a quote....it will be quite cheaper than someone doing the complete job. If I was near you I'd say drop them down to me....but I'm in Ireland, and without seeing them cannot give a quote.
If you want the standard colours/design it was originally, be prepared for a higher cost than putting her in 1 or 2 colours. If you want original stickers, then lacquered over, be prepared for many to say, we will only lacquer over original stickers.......and original costs money, (some of those cheaper stickers are not suitable to be lacquered due to thickness of sticker or sub-standard materials). You could get her scrimbled.....pretty nifty looking, easy to do.
There's no cheap way unless you have a sprayer friend in a bodyshop. Most here in Ireland leave their plastics in the cracked condition, due to the reasons mentioned above.
Copernicus
n00b

Geographic Location: Ireland
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 400
Model: zzr

Postby Shaunlacy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:40 am

Hi Copernicus,
Thanks for the reply, tis a shame yer across the water. Nevermind. I think what I'm gonna do is wait for a good un to come up for sale, then get the bike completely resprayed, its worth it as it is in otherwise great condition and the motor is spot on.

Cheers
Shaunlacy
Club Racer

Postby Shaunlacy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:20 am

Rode the bike twice, around 50 miles, there has now developed a crack at the front where the screen attaches, about an inch and a half long. RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaunlacy
Club Racer

Postby Daveyrach » Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Get a second hand one off fleabay in relatively good nick and spray it yourself.
If your prepared to put in the time and effort you can get a body shop finish with rattle cans. I have been quoted £550 + vat to have mine resprayed plain black by a professional body shop.
Daveyrach
n00b

Geographic Location: Lincoln UK
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Model: ZZR

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 am

There is a firm in the states that makes farings in original plastic and I believe they are good quality. I haven't seen one though but it is where I'm going to look when the time arrives.
Thumper
n00b

Geographic Location: Essex
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Model: zzr

Postby Duncan R » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ZZR ... Sw1S9Wc8bU

Might be worth a look - Made in Poland
Duncan R
n00b