Ramblings from Cannock

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Ramblings from Cannock

Postby Greyuu » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:54 pm

Linkage bearings done, 6mm of vertical swingarm play & loud clunk down to 2-3mm and a gentle thud. I used a 20x27x20 bearing for the lower shock instead of 20x27x15. Didn't see the need for such a narrow bearing, and grease nipple still useable. Hopefully will extend its lifespan given its load and position.

Rear caliper hanger seized solid, turned out to be grease seals binding rather than bearing itself. Swingarm bearings still good after 24,000 miles, manually checked and greased.

Zzr12 wheels on hold till I dial the rear shock back in, spent days messing with damping to solve linkage play.......
Greyuu
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Staffordshire
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 1052
Model: ZZR1100 D7

Re: Greetings from Cannock!

Postby MZtoZZ » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:39 pm

Ah,

I will check out with you on the bearing job ,, sure mine will need attention, if I can bear to take it off the road.

Concur with your findings on the PR4 tyres, Saturday saw good dry tarmac so I was able to go out and play a bit harder eek

MZtoZZ
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Geographic Location: west mids
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Model: ZZR 1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Lol, second guessing head bearings now, I remember why I don't start messing with things now.

I got caught in the rain between Uttoxeter and Stafford yesterday, blinding sunlight and freezing cold, tyres coped with everything including me swerving trying to divine the correct line while blinded.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:43 am

}:( Further Internet obsessing has revealed my putoline 7.5wt fork oil equals other 10wt like silkolene, so forks to be stripped and filled with 5wt, but decent viscosity. Turns out oil weight means nothing for different makers.

Fitted http://kwickstand.net/Hyper-Formance.co ... Plugs.html , and sealed valve cover gasket leak. Readjusted throttle cables, removed ram air grills, spare horn bracket & intake resonator. Only one mind, air intakes different years left to right, I suspect the bike was crashed and rebuilt, but have mots to prove low mileage.

Guess previous owner got inspired online, had batwing nissin calipers up front, not machined properly. Rubbed discs. Plus they're 30/27mm pistons so more wooden brakes.

Zx9r mudguard fitted, fork protectors hit bottom yoke over bumps.....

Dowels fitted to remove Kleenex air crap, dowels too long leading to oil leak.....

Motad exhaust fitted, but for c model forced onto my d.... Interfered with brake pedal....

Radiator corroded at bottom, oil cooler ziptied onto bottom....clogged/rotted, replacement on shelf, needed guards.

Corner snapped off carb body for float bowl screw but replaced with sealant and hope.... That one really pissed me off!

On the bright side forks and zzr1200 wheels should be done by weekend. Rant over }:(
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Forks done, zzr1200 front wheel fits fine, rear doesn't.

With caliper hanger and 1100 right spacer disc lines up fine. Sprocket is about 1mm too far inboard, but not too bad. Problem is there's next to no room for the left spacer. A 2.5mm washer helps stops the sprocket carrier rubbing the inside of the eccentric.

Because the eccentrics slide outwards, I can get the whole shebang in, but the eccentrics are forced outwards, meaning the eccentric pinch bolts are holding the axle in place rather than axle itself. Plus the wheel binds slightly with all the bodgery occurring.

Seems most use of zzr1200 rear wheel is for the zrx1100, I can't find picture proof of a 1200 rear wheel in a stock 1100 swingarm.

Anyone actually done this who can help out with advise?
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Parts diagrams have revealed the problem; the German fellow off of ebay managed to put the sprocket carrier spacer in the outside instead of the inside, hence the binding and spacing issues. For once the internets told the truth.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-11-fo ... ymore.html

Wheel fits using zzr1100 right spacer - zzr1200 wheel - zzr1200 right spacer - zzr1100 caliper hanger.

Pics to follow once tyres are swapped, & approximate weights if I remember.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:51 pm

ZZR1100 front wheel 11.25 lbs, ZZR1200 front wheel 10.5 lbs. Both without discs & bolts.

ZZR1100 rear wheel 23.5 lbs, ZZR1200 rear wheel 18.5 lbs. Both without sprocket & disc or outer spacers, but including sprocket carrier with nuts & disc bolts.

So 0.75 lbs front, and 5lbs rear. PartyDance
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby barry1200 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:20 pm

Quite a difference in the weights of the wheels..... eek
barry1200
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: pembrokeshire
Engine Size: 1200
Model: zzr c2h

Postby MZtoZZ » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:30 am

I couldn't help but notice your silencer is on the wrong side, but your wheels look just right ☺
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Geographic Location: west mids
Model: ZZR 1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:35 pm

MZtoZZ wrote:I couldn't help but notice your silencer is on the wrong side, but your wheels look just right ☺

It's American, other side of the road etc. :roll:

Wheels feel good, snappier drive out of corners, possibly lighter steering at speed.

Need to sync carbs, valve cover still leaking, rear shock needs extra turn of preload. Nice 60 mile ride out today though. thumbup
Greyuu
Club Racer

Next

Return to ZZR 1100 / ZX11