Ramblings from Cannock

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ramblings from Cannock

Postby Greyuu » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 pm

I started my riding career with the madness of Sparkhill/Sparkbrook/Small Heath etc, but there's something about the 'Orbital' group of islands by me that baffles people. Even the lady that knocked me off asked me directions afterwards lol :roll:

Did a run last week taking in the A483 from Newtown to the Crossgates cafe. End result realised I needed more damping in the rear shock. I'll also be adding risers and some renthals in the new year, got a bit exhausting shifting my body weight around. Seems both my clipons are bent, right worse than left. Hence my handling struggles. Both are bent towards me at different angles, like Granvilles shop bike. Takes some effort to turn the bars far enough that I'm pushing them naturally. Therefore heavy steering. :grumpy:
Greyuu
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Staffordshire
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 1052
Model: ZZR1100 D7

Postby MZtoZZ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:09 am

Hi,
Yes I get that biking exhaustion,its easy to forget how much energy riding can take ;-))
For the rear damping, I sometimes see an unavoidable dip or pothole and raise my arse off the seat a little, let the bike take the hit. After rebuilding the forks recently I rode up to north Wales with the spring pre load all the way out, normally I have them almost all the way in, but there was no noticeable difference.
Also with higher bars, I tried a set that were about an inch higher and an inch closer, you recall I had fitted risers to the top yolk? I found the throttle cables to be too short even for just a small difference in bar position, it looks as though I would need to lengthen the brake pipes too.
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Geographic Location: west mids
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Model: ZZR 1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:54 pm

I had a pair of the genmars a while back, but sold them on as they made the bike feel a bit more vague. I'd be ok right side with wide bars, my lines are have plenty of slack, and the cables can be rerouted right of the headstock. It's the left side that'll need at least a longer choke cable, maybe even clutch line?

Other option is zzr1200 yokes and bars, which will plug straight in and stop me fretting over possible misaligned/bent yokes. Beyond my accident I can detect it's had a hard life before me, thinking of getting alignment checked in the new year to allay my worries.

Went back to both 1.1 fork springs, and really cranked up the damping screw on the shock by 1.5 turns. Front feels better, but is underdamped, rear is better without the willowy seasick nervousness, but kicks over bumps and bounces over road imperfections you wouldnt feel barefoot. :roll: Think I've done the full (safe) range of adjustment for the Hagon shock, best I can say is it's better than stock. Wish I'd spent the extra coin on a Wilbers tbh.

Front end options are;

Zx9 usd, hard to get straight ones, yoke stem and bars to make fit, probable revalve/respring to get right.
Zrx1100/1200 forks, slide right in, wheel fits, discs are 310mm, calipers different, are longer so would need spacer between yokes and bar. Are fully adjustable though, and my 1.1 springs would fit.
Zxr750 H1/H2, forks are cartridge with rebound adjustment, springs would fit as well as my brembos, smaller 310mm calipers and 20mm axle so different wheel/speedo drive.
Zzr1200 front forks is easiest, but I'd need different calipers, and the 04/05 ones have the adjustable rebound, which all reside in the US, bent/corroded with import tax to add on.

Then there the Maxton option which as of about 2 years ago was quoted to me at 580 + vat =£696 eek

Of course reality snaps back in at this point and I wonder 2 things. Is the bike worth spending over a grand to fully sort the suspenders, and even if I did will I be happy with it. I've had this bike for 3.5 years, the longest I've ever kept a bike. It's never felt the same as the C2 model I had before......
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 pm

I spent some time soul searching about the zed over the new year, and looking at eBay for maybe my next bike. I kinda settled on seeing out my insurance till august, then maybe going for a zx9r, maybe a 2003 on zx6r for extra lightness. Only used the 11 a couple of times since to pop to the shops, and it still felt off.

So I spent a hour or so going over everything, swingarm bearings, torque settings, alignment etc. Have got some nice straight bars to go on from eBay, and even gave her a wash lol. Tested the steering bearings in the air, not loose, nice and smooth. By chance I moved the wheel after I released the jack, and heard a clunk. Wiggled the front wheel while on the centre stand and there's one hell of a notch just off centre. Sit on the bike off the stand, turn the handlebars and its barely noticeable.

Got new bearings to go in, going to be interesting to see what kind of wear/damage there is. Never had steering bearings so hard to diagnose, it's quite possible it's been the cause of my ill feeling with the bike, possibly since I've had it. Without being on the centre stand nose first, the notch just can't be felt. Weird.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby MZtoZZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am

Hi,

It was quite a while back and just a few thousand miles on the ZZimmer and I felt it had a very slight tendency to steer perceptibly to the left at low speed in traffic. At first I put it down to the worn front tyre as there was no "feel' of headrace bearing wear. It wasn't until I removed the forks and just felt the steering bearings through the yolks, then I found a notch, just to the left of centre.
Made up a bearing press, which proved too awkward to use, resorted to tapping the races in with judicious use of the side of a lump hammer, carefully monitored, of course. Looking at the races there are wear lines from the needle rollers marking the bearing surface, despite plenty of grease in there, the bike had stood a few years.

I've just got back from a mini break in Snowdonia, north Wales, this bike just does everything you want, cruise up there at 6 in 6th with luggage, bumble through the wonderful Welsh scenery two up, blast back, late for work, no worries from the bike at all PartyDance .
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Geographic Location: west mids
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Model: ZZR 1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:57 pm

MZtoZZ wrote:Made up a bearing press, which proved too awkward to use, resorted to tapping the races in with judicious use of the side of a lump hammer, carefully monitored, of course.

A time honoured technique thumbup

Well, after much swearing and grunting, as well as finding out my jack has a slow leak :roll: , bearings were swapped yesterday. They were the originals, and after 30,000 miles showed many different kinds of neglect. Although very well greased, the lower race had dents you could feel by finger nail. The upper less so, but had 3 dents close together all the way round. I'd guess they'd been loose at some time and hammered themselves about, and someone just regreased and tightened them instead of replacing.

Getting the bearing preload just so took about half a day, and I had to add fork preload and take some damping of the rear shock to get some feel back. Guess I'd adjusted the suspension to aid steering, because it felt lethal till I redialled it, a real sense of instability like the swingarm was loose, or the frame was not solid. Bloody scary! eek

So today I popped to the shops, and did some laps of the orbital islands to test it all out. Wet with added diesel as usual, with the normal number of cars doing random things. Took a few minutes to relax and loosen up, realised I was pushing both bars into the corners, maybe from nervousness or maybe a result of adapting to the old steering bearings. Either way I felt better about the bike, and no longer worry it's beyond hope. Still needs suspension work, but no longer feels like the tyres are squared or 50p shape.

Also grabbed a copy of practical sports bikes today, nice article on the zzr1100, issue 76 Feb 2017. Well worth a read. Studying
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Confusion » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Greyuu wrote:
MZtoZZ wrote:
bearings were swapped yesterday.

I cleaned, greased and adjusted mine two years ago. All was well until a couple
of days ago. I'm having problems with steering and I suspect it is time for a
new set of head bearings.

Which type and number bearings did you use?
Did you use identical bearings for top and bottom?

Most kits seem to come with a pair of 32907-2. Kawasaki specify
slightly different bearings for top and bottom.
BEARING-ROLLER,32907JR-2
BEARING-ROLLER,32907JR-3
Confusion
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Cork
Model: ZZ-R1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:27 pm

I bought a set from pyramid parts, came with bearings, seals and a tiny tube of grease.

The Kawasaki parts are different as the top bearing has a machined groove for an o ring, otherwise the bearings are identical top and bottom. Not really worth the extra for the genuine parts, the aftermarket seals fit quite well.

Headstock has 2 recesses per race to let you drift them out, and the old race slotted makes seating the new ones easy. Only ball ache is the inner bearing on the steering stem, I used a heat gun, and slotted the inner race to help drift it off. Remember to put the dust seal on the steering stem before you seat the inner bearing too. New races in the freezer helps shrink em a fraction too.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Confusion » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 am

Greyuu wrote:
The Kawasaki parts are different as the top bearing has a machined groove for an o ring, otherwise the bearings are identical top and bottom. Not really worth the extra for the genuine parts, the aftermarket seals fit quite well.

Thanks for the info thumbup

Some lists show *-2 as 14mm wide, and *-3 as 15mm wide.
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p43735 ... _info.html

With the range of adjustment available, I don't suppose 1mm will make
much difference either way.

I used a heat gun, and slotted the inner race to help drift it off. Remember to put the dust seal on the steering stem before you seat the inner bearing too. New races in the freezer helps shrink em a fraction too.

Thanks for the useful tips. Last time I did wheel bearings, I cooled the bearings in the freezer
and warmed the wheel hubs with a heat gun. The bearings literally fell into place.

I'll let you know how it works out....
Confusion
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Cork
Model: ZZ-R1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:58 am

:roll: Still had a vague feel, so I dismantled and remantled from the swing arm back. Nothing wrong, linkage still sweet after rebuild.

Took the chance with acccess to take a turn of preload off, and half a turn of damping.

Result: vague handling is all but gone. I've had the Hagon shock for over 2 years, and still haven't worked out how much the progressive spring means preload and sag have a weird & frankly baffling effect. Can't say I notice any more sag with one turn of preload, but now the rear is planted where before it felt loose, like a flat tyre almost.

P.s. feel free to pray for me, delving into 34 year old goldwing wiring today to put a mosfet reg/rec in. Already found the main fuse bypassed lol, and the new R/R is bigger than the old one and needs to be relocated. :roll:
Greyuu
Club Racer

PreviousNext

Return to ZZR 1100 / ZX11