Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Perth [WA]
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR

Re: Ramblings from Cannock

Postby MZtoZZ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi,

Yes I also had a bit of a battle on to get the bike to handle as I wanted it, replaced all the same parts that you have, rebuilt the forks, replaced the busted rear shock, with the ZZR1200 shock and nodded lower arm, progressive fork springs etc.
Always a compromise, though on a hot dry day with relatively new Bridge stone tyres and the original shock on the back, the bike was pinpoint sharp. As the tyres wore it became marginally less precise, and when they were at the end of their use, it was disconcerting. Using the bike year round I put on new Michelin PR4s which are very good tyres in the dry and warm, excellent in all other conditions.
I will add that at this time of year with cols wet and dirty roads, cold tyres, thicker suspension oil and cold winds chilling everything on the bike, you're not going to be 'getting your knee down'. Safety and security become more important than absolute handling, but once the bike has warmed up and you and it have got into your stride, and you get a good secure feeling with it, then that's a good sign for future riding as the weather improves and warms up, dries out etc.
Yes I was out on the ZZimmer last night, went to see a real good band ROVING CROWS about 25 miles each way, it was -2c for the return journey, which could feel as low as -10c at 90mph, it was at least 10 miles before the tyres had warmed to a reasonable level. Clutch less changes and predominantly rear braking saved moving my fingers off the hot grips too much, but even with muffs and inner and outer gloves, I still felt sick as my fingers thawed out after the ride!.
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Geographic Location: west mids
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Engine Size: 1052
Model: ZZR 1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Was looking at tyres the other day, Michelin & Avon both say 36 psi/2.5 bar for the front tyre. No idea why, have shot an email off to Michelin to find out why. Same for zzr1200 too, yet blackbird/zx12/eyeabuser are all same front and rear. :roll:

Handling wise the pr4's feel secure from the get go, and if I shift around Eddie Lawson style it's almost sporty. With a clear setup into a corner I could almost get off once settled in. I do miss the flickability of a lighter bike however, and the almost IAM style of riding I've adopted to get a lick on is a bit of a killjoy for 'urban fun'. Even looked at old sports 400's till I saw the nostalgia tax! eek
Greyuu
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Staffordshire
Model: ZZR1100 D7

Postby barry1200 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06 pm

I've had my 1200 for a few years now, and the tyre pressures are recommended 42 psi front and rear...... BUT, I found the front very twitchy at those pressures, and I run the front at 36psi.... MUCH nicer. thumbup
barry1200
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: pembrokeshire
Engine Size: 1200
Model: zzr c2h

Postby Greyuu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:51 pm

barry1200 wrote:I've had my 1200 for a few years now, and the tyre pressures are recommended 42 psi front and rear...... BUT, I found the front very twitchy at those pressures, and I run the front at 36psi.... MUCH nicer. thumbup

I've kinda settled around 38 psi front and rear for the winter, 41 is too hard, 36 is too soft..... Clown

I know the 1200 had rake and offset changes to make it easier to steer, but for the 1100 36 psi front kinda blunts turn in, and is a bit squidgy.

No reply from the Michelin man regarding their website tyre pressure recommendation yet. greyalien
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:45 am

Been popping to the shops mixed in with some A road plods recently. Have had to admit I've grown disillusioned with the zzr. Even the missus said when the mot is due may I should sell and swap, not even wait till august.

There's not one thing that's the cause on the move, brembo calipers are epic, 1.1 fork springs cut brake dive, and roll on power and noise in 2nd always makes me laugh. It's comfy, pretty sexy, and carries me and shopping with total reliability.

Downsides have got to me though. Front forks, although zzr1200 cartridges, are over and underdamped at the same time. 5 wt is uncontrolled, 7.5 wt is harsh and deadens feedback. Hagon shock has a baffling single damping adjustment that has far too much high speed compression damping, with rebound too closely match to low speed compression damping. Either way harsh, wallow & harsh, or sluggish & harsh. End result is never feeling settled which erodes confidence.

The weight hauling it off the side stand, and paddling round to manoeuvre in and out of parking spaces. The force needed for quick transitions in corners. Feeling the front push wide and the weight load on, then the wobble as the suspension reacts then reacts again mid corner. The effort to hold the exit line and stop the beast drifting wide.

There's not enough long sweeping corners, or straights without cameras to enjoy the bikes natural gifts. Dare I say it the power I can't unleash without the handling to back it up has gone beyond irritating.

Guess my late night rambling turned into a rant sorry. I still love my Zzr. But I miss a sweet handling bike more......
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Brett » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:29 am

Maybe I'm not nearly as good a rider, but I find one-up or two-up it handles 95% like I want it to, and there is much more effect on it by swapping to different tyres than anything else. Bog standard rear end, serviced forks with progressive springs.

Maybe what wasn't broken should not have been fixed?

Dunno.

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Perth [WA]
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR

Postby Greyuu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Brett wrote:Maybe what wasn't broken should not have been fixed?

Dunno.

(-8

You're absolutely spot on.

This D7 has never handled like my old C2, and even though I've now sorted all the neglect and bodges of previous owners, I've just not gelled in the same way.

The zzr1200 forks are better than damping rods, the Hagon better than stock, the pr4's are better than the pr1's, it just doesn't add up to what I want from it. The C2 felt long, low and sleek, this D7 has never flowed through corners in the same way. It's top heavy and ill tempered.

When I get off it so am I.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Well, I've spent the past weeks picking up my toys, and decided to give the bus another chance.

Radiator and oil cooler have rotted out, so new radiator being fitted, oil cooler bypassed with zrx oil lines till I find a nice one. Next winter I'll have to replace the oil and water hoses, as they're rotting away too. The zx9 mudguard that was bodged on when I bought it really let the wheel spray everything. Fenda extenda fitted to prevent further damage.

D&D exhaust dented to clear oil pressure switch, still an absolute ball ache to fit. Think the flange is thicker than stock, making the collars stand out leaving less thread showing.

5w oil in forks, and some 0.95 springs I found. Had to retighten one of the damping rod bolts too. Will see if softer damping and spring help feel.

Got a cheap 46t sprocket ready to fit, the 41t I have fitted is good at speed, but can't deal with walking pace manueveres.

Going to the Ace cafe meet on 16 April, I'll be the weirdo bouncing other peoples suspension.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby MZtoZZ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi Greyuu,

I've had that date at the Ace pencilled in my diary, would you consider riding down there with me, no worries if you prefer not, just think it might be interesting to compare bikes handling etc.
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Geographic Location: west mids
Model: ZZR 1100 D5

PreviousNext

Return to ZZR 1100 / ZX11