Ramblings from Cannock

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ramblings from Cannock

Postby Greyuu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Sounds good, save me getting lost on my own lol.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Staffordshire
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 1052
Model: ZZR1100 D7

Postby MZtoZZ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Well, I never get lost, but occasionally take an unplanned detour, just to see what the road was like.
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Geographic Location: west mids
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Model: ZZR 1100 D5

Postby Greyuu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 pm

MZtoZZ wrote:Well, I never get lost, but occasionally take an unplanned detour, just to see what the road was like.

Tbh I can't say I'm looking forward to being in Londinium, but it's so rare I get to see any other zzr's these days. Hope to see some mods I can put on my list of projects. Any idea of where to meet up beforehand? Plus I think they're trying to plan some kind of ride out for the day too.
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby MZtoZZ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Hehehhe, when you said 'mods" I thought you meant those funny dressed fellows who ride round in gangs on Lambrettas.
Don't worry about that London, I was a courier there for few years, still got the topbox. Though they've built a new north circular where we're going, but it looks pretty straight forward if we go in on the M40.
I would suggest meeting up at Warwick services on the M40, open to a different route if you prefer not to use motorways suppose it depends where you are coming from?
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 pm

I'd be disowned if I owned a parka and a Vespa in my lifetime. Only use for a scooter is for the nice young lady who's broken down to have her own helmet to accept my generous help. InLove

M40 is what I figured too, I'll just jump on the toll road & M42, I'm boycotting the M6/M5 till.... }:( well whenever it's fixed lol. Warwick services is fine, any time in mind?
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby MZtoZZ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi,

Been out on the bike all weekend as the tarmac was dry!!

The event starts at 9am so I'd say we should be at Warwick services at 8am, its only a 40 minute ride in from there.
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:09 pm

8am it is then.

I had Monday and Tuesday in the the sun, then the rest of the week as the Lake District refilled!
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby MZtoZZ » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,

Been up in Wales, see my other post.
Met one of the original 59 club members who gave me a couple of tips for finding The Ace Cafe, its easy though, as you can see it from the main road.
Regards
MZtoZZ
MZtoZZ
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:01 pm

I remembered why I had the 7.5 wt fork oil after yesterday, lack of rebound damping up front is terrifying. crying

So before the ace cafe I just need to change oil and fork springs (again), add preload to rear shock (loosing skin on knuckles), and finally get rid of the 41t sprocket in favour of 46t.

Maybe clean it too? eek
Greyuu
Club Racer

Postby Greyuu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:25 pm

If there are those who have read my ramblings about suspension, let me start by saying sorry. I know nothing.

Now that the obvious is out in the open, I'll ramble about how I lucked onto a nice setting today.

I've been obsessed by rider sag, and have always set up on the soft/comfort end as such. Last night I reread the internet, and spotted static sag, as in just the bike on its own vertical. 25mm front, 10mm rear. My own figures were 30mm front, 20mm rear. Doh! Clown

So after the 46t sprocket was fitted, I had a hateful 10 minutes of adding preload to the rear shock. 3 turns in fact. This gave me my 10mm static sag. I then set the damping by the bounce test I found on YouTube. Lead bike upright near the balance point, then press down on the seat, looking for the rear to rise up in about 1 second. I get 1.5 seconds. Too much rebound damping. Took 7/8 of a turn off the damping screw, and all seemed ok.

Quick blast of island surfing and a back road the council have disavowed show massive improvement in feel, comfort and the squat and harshness is about the best I've felt in years. So as I stated before, I know nothing. Hagon do know what they are doing. :roll:

Onto the forks. I bought some 10w silkolene fork oil based on viscosity as it was close to the 7.5w putoline hpx oil. My reasoning was I hadn't got enough rebound damping. But since I learned from my static sag mistake, I reasoned the fork springs were too soft. In went one of my 1.1 fork springs, with static sag of 30mm, rider sag of 40mm.

End result is it feels like a new bike, front is a tad lively, but is controlled and as precise as any zzr I've ridden. Rear digs in on exits instead of squatting, and I even forgot about the suspension for a few minutes as I island surfed like a loon.

Remember, I know nothing lol. ROFL2 :Shhh:
Greyuu
Club Racer

PreviousNext

Return to ZZR 1100 / ZX11