head bearings how easy to do

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

head bearings how easy to do

Postby zzr11gaz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:11 pm

as my bike has got the shakes when slowing down from 50 to 40 i am thinking about changing the head bearings , is it fairly easy to do . is it a matter of wheel out forks out handel bars off . then undo top yoke and it should come apart .or is it a pig to do also has anybody done it and what replacment bearings did they use . any help thanks . garry
zzr11gaz
n00b

Geographic Location: selby
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Engine Size: 1200
Model: zzr1200

Re: head bearings how easy to do

Postby tarmac tyrant » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:10 pm

i work in a truck garage which has a big crane for lifting trucks and trailers,so ijust put a sling around the frame and lifted it up off the steering stem enough on my bike to change them,ive done them for my friends on two different bikes at home and just as you say.wheel off,yolk up.calipers off etc.
now thats assuming thats the problem man,and its not warped discs? not telling you your business man or anything but would be an idea to lift the bikes front end and rock the steering back and forth to see if theyre goosed for sure?

when i was doing them i priced the bearings in a bike shop,then priced them in a bearing shop,which were much cheaper
........'you might end up dead' ,is my middle name.....
tarmac tyrant
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Ireland
Engine Size: 600
Model: dead zed 600

Re: head bearings how easy to do

Postby tarmac tyrant » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:12 pm

also if they are fk'ed,the bottom bearing can be a bit tight to come off,be careful with bottom grease seal,ie you cant really heat it,i just got a grinder and cut the bearing cage and then tapped it off with a small chisel.bearing races in the frame are tap out and in job,handy
........'you might end up dead' ,is my middle name.....
tarmac tyrant
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Ireland
Engine Size: 600
Model: dead zed 600

Return to ZZR1200