Steering stem bearings

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Steering stem bearings

Postby Copernicus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi all. I need to replace my steering stem bearings. Tried eBay, but so far no luck. I'm assuming that the zzr600 D1 models are the same. Even messaged a couple of sellers and they ask for bearing numbers, but I haven't stripped it yet, and don't want to untill I have the replacement parts. So questions are, does the 600 as stated fit the 400 1990k? And any place I can buy them? I'm in Ireland, thanks.
Copernicus
n00b

Geographic Location: Ireland
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 400
Model: zzr

Re: Steering stem bearings

Postby Confusion » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Copernicus wrote:Hi all. I need to replace my steering stem bearings. Tried eBay, but so far no luck. I'm assuming that the zzr600 D1 models are the same.

I expect the 400 and 600 will have the same bearings.

I had to replace the head bearings in my 11 recently. I looked up the part numbers
on the Cradley Kawasaki website. As well as the part number, the description also
includes the original bearing number. The local bearing shop here in Cork had Japanese
made Koyo bearings in stock. I decided to buy on eBay instead, because they were exactly half
the price, even with shipping included.

For a 1990 ZZR600:

Top:
92116A
92116-1056
BEARING-ROLLER,HI-CAP32005JR-1

Bottom:
92116-1009
BEARING-ROLLER,HR320/28XJ

So questions are, does the 600 as stated fit the 400 1990k?

I reckon they will. The only way to be 100% sure is to have a look at the old ones.

And any place I can buy them? I'm in Ireland, thanks.

Cork Bearing Co had the ZZR11 head bearings in stock. Reliance Bearings didn't
have them, but they were able to supply new wheel bearings at a reasonable price.

You probably won't beat eBay for prices on Japanese made Koyo or similar.
Low cost kits like All Balls, Slinky Glide, Pyramid etc will probably come with
Chinese bearings. They are probably ok, but I prefer Japanese made for hardened
steel items like bearings and drive chains.
Confusion
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Cork
Engine Size: 1052
Model: ZZ-R1100 D5

Re: Steering stem bearings

Postby Copernicus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Cheers.
I purchased a set from pyramid parts UK. The set was stated for a zzr400 1990 k, my model. Got them today. Went out to fit them. Stripped the bike down to fit them, and lo and behold, wrong set!!! The top one was correct but not the bottom. They had sent 2 top ones. God damn mf's I said in my head. So I wasn't going to have the bike sitting for a week waiting for replacements. I cleaned the bottom one and regreased it, and fitted the new top one. Seems to have done the job, no more play,....back and forth. At least the new bearing was Japanese of excellent quality! So I shall keep the other new one, and when I repaint the frame this winter I will purchase a bottom one and just replace them both.
I know exactly what you mean about buying in Ireland! I do not buy from shops here, they are simply overpriced. Everything I buy is from online, usually fleabay, and even with tracked post it's cheaper.
But hey,.....thanks for replying.
Copernicus
n00b

Geographic Location: Ireland
Engine Size: 400
Model: zzr

Return to ZZR 400 / ZX4 (K & N)