Exhaust mod

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Exhaust mod

Postby Copernicus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm

I just uploaded a video to utube showing how I changed my existing 4 into 2 system to a 4 into 1 system utilizing the existing system. Reasons for doing this are explained on the vid. It never cost me any money, just a couple of hours work, and it runs perfectly. So if anyone is considering changing to a 4 into 1 system from a 4/2, here's how I did it.
https://youtu.be/hv4vYZzgC3E
Copernicus
n00b

Geographic Location: Ireland
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 400
Model: zzr

Re: Exhaust mod

Postby GreenMagicMan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Hmm. Interesting.
But I do have to wonder what that does overall to the system. If I understand the video, you simply lopped off one side and welded the hole shut - nothing more.

Seems like it must restrict airflow quite a bit. Which also makes me wonder... what if you combined that with de-baffling the remaining side? Maybe the two actions could kind of equalize the decreased flow and the increased flow.

Maybe that's kind of letting a humidifier and dehumidifier fight it out?

But thanks for posting.
GreenMagicMan
Track Racer

Geographic Location: California and NH
My Bike Make: 1995 ZX6e
Engine Size: 600
Model: ZX6E / ZZR600 E3

Postby Copernicus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:34 am

Yes, I simply "lopped off" one side. The internal baffle is unaffected, and the gasses are instead routed to the one can, they have not been halted. A 4-1 system, (a purchased one), does the same. Some people, such as myself, do not have 400+ to spend on exhaust systems, and in my case, due to nonces making a bollox of a system. I don't think there will be any long-term effects, but it's better than having a can rubbing against a swingarm, and bashing against the axle nut.....not good long-term prospects there. I did this mod out of necessity, not to "look cool", if my original system was fitted and working correctly, I would not have done this mod.
Copernicus
n00b

Postby GreenMagicMan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:12 pm

I think a 4-1 does look cool. And practical for freeing space, working on bike, and losing weight.
But it does mess with the free flow volume of exhaust gases the Kawi engineers designed.
There really isn't a way around that.
I would however recommend gutting the solo muffler - de-baffling it, although I suppose you may have MOT or noise requirements or neighbors to not anger to deal with there.
I would say at least when both mufflers are done, it's about as loud as an aftermarket 4-1 Yosh pipe, perhaps a tad deeper.
Anyway, somehow I seem to think that restricting it to one muffler and one route only, and then opening up that route for more flow could be interesting.
I understand not wanting to splash a lot of cash out. I am frugal as well. That's why I gutted my exhaust rather than buy a Vance and Hines 4-1 expensive setup.

As a note: by increasing the output of exhaust gases (my de-baffled exhaust) I also did not notice any detrimental effects. If anything mileage improved and it feels better overall, but I did do two things at once (I finally did a valve adjustment that was long needed) so it may not be attributable to the de-baffle mod perhaps.
I've put quite a few trips on the bike since the mod and miles.
If you have any longer term notes on your project and mileage / power notes please post updates.
GreenMagicMan
Track Racer

Geographic Location: California and NH
My Bike Make: 1995 ZX6e
Engine Size: 600
Model: ZX6E / ZZR600 E3

Postby Copernicus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 am

I have put up on utube an update to the mod. I reworked the link pipe. The mod which I did first is no different than buying a 4-1 set. No baffle has gone from the first mod, I simply removed the left split, allowing the gasses free flow into the 1 can.I would not remove or mess with the can baffle as there seems no need to, it sounds just fine as is. The bike has no stumbles in the complete rev range. There is no mot requirement in southern Ireland, so no noise restrictions. I changed the oil yesterday as it needed it, and I will be doing another carb balance just to see if the mod slightly altered it.No cost is the best mod.....better than giving money over to someone that will probably cock it up.
Copernicus
n00b

Postby Copernicus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:21 am

It's the last day of August and my exhaust mod has been a success. I've been out on the bike plenty of times and all is as it was before. No loss of power in any rev range, no stuttering, same fuel consumption. If your bike is in good running order, serviced regular, carbs set and balanced correctly.......then this mod should work for anyone.
Copernicus
n00b

Return to ZZR 400 / ZX4 (K & N)