ZZR-International's tyre survey

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

ZZR-International's tyre survey

Postby Muzzy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:30 pm

It's the start of spring! And some of us may have to throw our old rubber off for the new year.
ZZR-International's tyre survey is here to help anyone looking to try new rubber or stick with what they know are the best tyres.
Each forum has their own survey from 250 to 1400.

Please share your knowledge with the community.

Manufacturer? Avon, Michelin, Dunlope etc etc
Model of Tyre?
Sport or Touring?
Your review notes…

Thank you
Muzzy
Site Administrator

Geographic Location: Highlands
My Bike Make: Suzuki
Engine Size: 1000
Model: SV

Re: ZZR-International's tyre survey

Postby ambydupuis » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Recommended:
Dunlop
RoadSmart II
Sport vs Touring: A touring tyre but for the few who gets their bike on a track it does the job quite nicely, so very good sporting abilities. Not a Pirelli SuperCorsa 2 though.

My review in a nutshell:
Excellent performances on dry surface,
extremely good on wet roads, superb longevity (10.000+ km *km not miles*) and price tag is just about right.

Avoid:
Pirelli
Angel ST
Sport vs Touring: more on the shitty side.
with this one you go back to the days the Dunlop D205 was the reference. Except it would not pass a test against it: slips sooo easely on bad surfaces (even when dry), bad on rainy days, but it last so long you'd wish you got it busted. Be careful about low siding it, happens very quickly. But I did not fall because I'm a badass :P
ambydupuis
n00b

Geographic Location: Belgium
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 7
Model: ZZ-R's

Postby Bigdave » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Now ya tell me!!!!
Just fitted a new front to match the half worn rear, beginning to wish i'd changed them both!!!!!!
Are they really that bad???
Anyone else had a bad experience with them????
1999 ZZR1100 D7 In Black
2001 Aprilia RSV Mille In Yellow
Bigdave
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Cromer
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR 1100

Postby ambydupuis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:18 pm

I suppose you talk about the Angel's, You can live with 'em, it depends on your riding style, but they are very prone to skid especially on bad surfaces, even being gentle with throttles. The main problem of them rubbers is the quality of the concurrence, which is very good and remember that tyre technology evolved a lot more than people think during the last 5 years.
ambydupuis
n00b

Geographic Location: Belgium
Engine Size: 7
Model: ZZ-R's

Postby Bigdave » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Yer it was the Angel's I have fitted. I am a straight line fast rider really and take great care in the bendy stuff. The bike feels sure footed enough, no skips or slips yet........Any changes I will let ya know.

I have only had Battlax's BT020 and 021's in the past, how would you compare them????
1999 ZZR1100 D7 In Black
2001 Aprilia RSV Mille In Yellow
Bigdave
Club Racer

Geographic Location: Cromer
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR 1100

Postby WGBONNY » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 am

I have tried all makes on all my bikes. I have found Continental to be a pretty good tyre. Good in the wet, grippy and best of all lasts well. Now moving on from that. I am wondering if a 200 will fit the swing arm? I fancy a 200-50-ZR17
John Bonny Bonnewell. West Wales. "Fear Nothing But Disgrace"
WGBONNY
n00b

Geographic Location: Carmarthenshire
Engine Size: 1350
Model: ZZR1400

Postby ZZR1400 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 am

I have Bridgestone battlax 023's Sport/touring on mine, not once had a slide even in the wet and I've done 3000 miles with no sign of wear yet. PartyDance

They have the hard rubber in the middle and the softer rubber on the rest of the tyre. I'll be buying the same when these wear out. thumbup
ZZR1400
n00b

Geographic Location: Lincoln
Engine Size: 1396
Model: ZZR1400

Postby madmickyk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm running Bridgestone Battleaxe T30s, good grip and good feedback, I run the front at 38-39 psi rather than the stated 42. Done 4500 miles now and the rear is now starting to square off (I'll have to find a few more corners on my commute to work ROFL2 )
They seem a good all round tyre dont know if I should stick with them or try something else.

Anybody else used these?, I think they replaced the BT023

Cheers
When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspense
madmickyk
n00b

Geographic Location: Cambridgeshire
Engine Size: 1400
Model: FDFA

Postby ZZORO » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am

I've done 8.5k miles since Aug 2013 on my 2013 ZZR14. Got 2.5 out of the rear BT 20 (original types), 5.5k out of the rear BT 23 and have done 500 mile on the current BT T30 rear. I am running the BT 23 front with the T30 rear currently as there is about 1k remaining on the front. I did check with Bridgestone by the way. Yes the BT T30 did replace the BT 23. I had some great fun on the 23's and the T30 feels promising but I'm going to reserve final judgement until I have front and rear T30's. Having said that the T30, rear only for now, displays huge amounts of traction on acceleration both at straight line and modest lean exiting corners so far. I ride on KTRC setting 1 for the most part and it's only kicked in once when I rode over a big dip in the road at high speed which cause the suspension to unsettle. S as far as I can tell from the T30 it is coming up trumps but will let you know more as and when I use it in the when and when the front is matched (both T30's).

PS: Longevity looking promising thumbup
ZZORO
n00b

Geographic Location: Bristol and Bath
Model: ZZR

Postby toryman49 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:34 pm

I recomend MPR 4 GT. Exelent grip on wet, 8000km or more on rear no problem. And stick to Kwaks recomend on tyrepreshure,42psi for road use. (Track may be diff.) :dirtbike:
toryman49
n00b

Geographic Location: Norway
My Bike Make: Kawazaki
Model: ZZR

Next

Return to ZZR1400