ZZR 1400 clank on first gear

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ZZR 1400 clank on first gear

Postby Silver Jeff » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi All

I have only had my ZZR1400 for 2 months and really did not like the violent clunk when engaging first gear, so I have been experimenting and come up with the following solution:

On first start up, after letting the engine warm up and when you are about to set off, stop the engine on the kill switch, pull in the clutch lever and select first gear (whilst the engine is stopped and keeping the clutch in) re-start the engine and set off - no clunk!

If coming to a halt at a junction or traffic lights, select first gear just before you stop and wait with the clutch in, then set off - no clunk! If it is a longish stop, then select neutral and repeat the initial start routine i.e. stop the engine on the kill switch, select first and hold the clutch in, re-start the engine and set off.

Lovelly!! :D
Silver Jeff

Geographic Location: Plymouth
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 1400
Model: ZZR1400

Postby penthane » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:55 am

All Kawa's clunck, that's how it should be. If it doesn't cluck, it's not a real Kawa.
penthane
n00b

Geographic Location: Rotterdam
Model: ZZR

Postby ZZORO » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Even if I'd have been warned at the point of sale, after the test ride I'd have still bought her! Had the zed14 for 8 weeks now, done 1700 miles and ardour it. The sales manager, a long term Kwakiutl owner informed me at the 600 mile service that they all do it, it's a zed thing and that he just keeps the clutch it at lights etc. I've adjusted the chain, she's well oiled, goes like a bat out of hell and rides like a dream, the clunk is annoying but a small price to pay for this ride I say! Love it, wish all of my best rides jumped into gear like her! PS: the Busa wasn't a lot better, had one of those in the 2000.s and I loved her too. I suppose with bikes as powerful as this the inertia is such that big clunk or thud is inevitable, the cars next to me take note when my baby jumps into gear! Don't worry about it guys be proud this is a characteristic not a foible.
ZZORO
n00b

Geographic Location: Bristol and Bath

Postby ZZORO » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Clunk update: I fitted a tutoro chain oiler about 500 miles ago so the oil is now consistent through the chain by now and I believe this has improve the clunk too! Certainly it felt better, cleaner on the gear lever and snapped into first from neutral a lot less aggressively than before.
ZZORO
n00b

Postby kawasakijoel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 am

guys guys what is wrong with you all? surely its obvious why Kawasaki's do this clunk...its the same reason that we feel the wind blow around us when were outside.... the same reason that the sky is blue....its because that's how it is and that's that, so instead of asking why it does it just enjoy it like we enjoy the breeze on a warm sunny day.
if it fly's past you........chase it!!!
kawasakijoel
n00b

Geographic Location: Nottingham
Model: zzr

Postby Aitch » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:48 am

not sure its a kawasaki thing !!?? my suzuki's do it too in fact all the bikes ive owned have
i just asume you have stationery bits inside that suddenly start moving and its a none issue

Aitch :bored:
i must be mad spending this much on an 20 year old bike
Aitch
Club Racer

Geographic Location: tibshelf derbyshire
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Engine Size: 600
Model: ZZR 600 E2

Postby ZZORO » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Just a couple of things that I would add to my previous 1st gear thud. Had the 14 for 16 months now, 9k miles, and I've just changed the clutch fluid. I only did this because I was stripping the callipers and replacing seals and pads and brake fluid, probably didn't need new seals but sod it. Anyway, I upgrade the brake fluid to Motul Dot 4 and decided to change the clutch fluid whilst at it using the same (RBF 600), friggin expensive but worth trying dif stuff in my view, the old fluid was coffee coloured anyhow. I've done about 500 on the new fluid and pads etc. but have also notice a smoother first gear. Having said and done all of this I kind of miss the big clunk! I've mentioned before that I use a Tutoro chain lube system but couldn't say if this help much but obviously keeping the chain at the right tension does. :clap:
ZZORO
n00b

Postby JonS » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi
I m new to this site but thought I d add my two penneth to this old post.

When I took my zzr 1400 for its last service the mechanic told me that to stop the clunk when engaging 1st gear, pump the clutch lever 2 or3 times before engaging gear. Apparently it breaks the seal in the vacuum in the hydraulics.

Cheers
JonS

Geographic Location: Lancashire
Engine Size: 1352
Model: ZZR 1400

Postby GreenMagicMan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 am

Switching to Shell Rotella T6 synthetic diesel oil greatly reduced the clunk for my 600. It still does clunk, just not as hard as often. Smoother shifting all around with oil change.
GreenMagicMan
Track Racer

Geographic Location: California and NH
My Bike Make: 1995 ZX6e
Model: ZX6E / ZZR600 E3

Postby casey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:02 pm

I find there is no need for a gear indicator, i know what gear im in by the type of clunk i get ;)
Once you've had black you never go back ;)
casey
Hooligan

Geographic Location: Cheshire
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Model: ZX-6

Previous

Return to ZZR1400