fuel problem, bike cut out suddenly

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

fuel problem, bike cut out suddenly

Postby Rigger100472 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:50 pm

need some bike related help / advice. last week my zzr 1100 fired up as normal them after a few seconds it died. I've tested the pump, works fine and the filter not blocked spark plugs are all working. I've drained the old fuel from the tank and put in some fresh shell fuel. As part of testing the pump I checked the fuel lines to the carbs and even got it going briefly. put everything back together and it won't start. I disconnected the hose from the tank to the pump and blew down it. hey presto it fired up, while running I reconnected the hose and tuned the tap on and again within a few seconds it stops. with the tap open and the hose off fuel flows ok from the tank. I'm a bit puzzled it's like fuel isn't being drawn from the tank. It's not a pressurised tank and I can blow into the breather line ok. any ideas any one?
And I think to myself.....What a wonderful bike..... Ohhhhh Yeahhhh.
Rigger100472
n00b

Geographic Location: Notts
My Bike Make: Kawazaki
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR D

Re: fuel problem, bike cut out suddenly

Postby Copernicus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 pm

The float could be stuck, stopping fuel from entering it. By blowing down the pipe, this may have allowed fuel in, until you stop blowing. Check the floats out, and your bike might only need 1 carb for starting, so check that one first. Is your fuel tap vacuum operated? If so, the diaphragm may be buggered.
Copernicus
n00b

Geographic Location: Ireland
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 400
Model: zzr

Re: fuel problem, bike cut out suddenly

Postby Rigger100472 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Eventually sorted this out and you won't believe this. It was the neutral connection on the battery coupled with the battery being on its way out. I only found this because one morning it completely died losing all lights and instruments. Pushed it back home and was looking for a loose or bad earth, then found the loose wire and had the battery tested whole I was at it and bingo, she hasn't skipped a beat since.
And I think to myself.....What a wonderful bike..... Ohhhhh Yeahhhh.
Rigger100472
n00b

Geographic Location: Notts
My Bike Make: Kawazaki
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR D

Return to ZZR 1100 / ZX11