Which sprocket?

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Which sprocket?

Postby Exlabman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi,
While the swinging arm and other bits are away at the powder coaters I'm generally fettling.
Shocking shock is rusted seized, no amount of hammering and wd40 will move it - bin. Considering Hagon or M-shock.

Chain is quite new and fine, rear sprocket is worn so was going to change it.
But... It's not standard, it's got 50 teeth, with 530 50 stamped on it. Standard replacement is 48 as I understand. So I checked the front, 15teeth, should be 16.

So what are my options?
Should I get a 50T replacement or change them both back to std?
I checked the calculator that has been on the forum before so understand the current set up is for acceleration at the expense of top end and worse mpg on motorways.
If I return to std would I also need to replace the chain (not measured)? Trying to avoid this as bills are racking up.
It rode well before I stripped it so am tempted to stick as is but don't know where to get a 50 teeth rear.

Ideas chaps?

Thanks
David
Exlabman
n00b

Geographic Location: United Kingdom
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 600
Model: ZZR E7

Re: Which sprocket?

Postby brimalrage » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:56 am

So long as the chain is 530 pitch you would not have to replace it, regardless of sprocket size (although if you go too large in the rear and front you may not have enough links in the chain).

It depends what you want out of the bike, I have a 2011 ZX-10 that I track occasionally, so I have my fast fun bike with the nice suspension and everything. I dont have a need for the same from my ZX6E (thats the name here in the US for the ZZR) so I mostly plan on my 6E to be a daily bike going to and from work, Id rather have Mpg than acceleration.

Sprockets are pretty cheap, and if you arent concerned with weight then getting a steel one means it will last a long time (especially on a low hp bike compared to liter bikes). You would be fine with a 50 tooth for some acceleration, but would enjoy the 48 tooth rear in the wallet and your ears (lower RPMs on the highway cruising might be quieter to notice). You can mix and match sprocket teeth sizes, you'll only have to change your axle adjustments if you change between them (assuming you keep the same pitch between all the sprockets, 530).

I suggest to get both a 530 pitch 48 rear sprocket and 50 sprocket and test them out, steel or aluminum is up to you. If you must pick one then just decide if you want more accel or better mpg on the highway.
brimalrage

Geographic Location: USA
Engine Size: 1000
Model: 2011 ZX-10R

Postby Exlabman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks
So would you leave the front alone with one less and just go for the 48?

Cheers
Exlabman
n00b

Geographic Location: United Kingdom
Engine Size: 600
Model: ZZR E7

Postby Brett » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 am

Yeah go for the 48. You probably get away with the same chain length anyway.

15/50 gives you 90% of the speed at the same revs, or 11% more revs at the same speed.
15/48 gives you 93.8% of the speed at the same revs, or 6.7% more revs at the same speed.

So with both setups you will have a bit more poke and a bit more revs. Will be great around town, but might get old if you do a lot of open road mileage. I'm more a rider that likes the other side, less revs, less poke (downshift if I need it) but relaxed cruising...
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Perth [WA]
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR

Return to ZZR 600 / ZX6 (D&E)