Chain adjust without centre stand

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Chain adjust without centre stand

Postby Exlabman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi,
Some muppet cut off the centre stand mount (rhs) to accommodate the exhaust pipe for the 4-1 micron. I thought they'd removed it for lean clearance and planned on refitting one but can't.
I need to adjust the chain after refitting the swinging arm and new shock.
I have the bike on axle stands with safety ropes from handle bars and grab rail in case it slips. However the rear wheel is not clear of the ground.
I have paddock stands but have never used them

If I use paddock stands under the swinging arm this will alter the angle of the arm compared to hanging down with the centre stand. Will this change the target chain adjustment free play or should it be the same?

Would I be better raising the axle stands to mimic a centre stand?

Thanks
David
Exlabman
n00b

Geographic Location: United Kingdom
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 600
Model: ZZR E7

Re: Chain adjust without centre stand

Postby barry1200 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Ideally, you want to adjust the chain with the weight on the wheels. That's when the chain is at its tightest. I.ve got a prop I made, when I had my Fireblade,..... just a couple of lengths of wood, one a bit longer than the other, screwed together, side by side.... when the bike is on the sidestand, just rest the prop against the back of the swingarm, and lean the bike over, towards the left.... the wooden prop just falls under the swingarm and holds up the back wheel,... Ideal for lubiing the chain. If you're not sure what I mean, I'll take a couple of piccies, and try and put them up.... It's dead easy, and costs almost nothing. To get the bike back on its wheels, just pull the prop out... it'll drop down. thumbup
barry1200
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: pembrokeshire
My Bike Make: kawasaki
Engine Size: 1200
Model: zzr c2h

Re: Chain adjust without centre stand

Postby jimzzr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:41 pm

just to clarify, the ultimate aim is to get close to zero slack when the bike is loaded such that the centre of the front sprocket, the swing arm pivot and the rear axel nut lie on a straight line.

Rather than compressing the suspension it's usual to set a specified amount of slack with the suspension unloaded.

So yes using the paddock stand could decrease very slightly the amount of slack required from being on the centre stand. That said this is one of those situations where a bit too much is preferable to too little.

Jim
jimzzr
Club Racer

Return to ZZR 600 / ZX6 (D&E)