Zzr600 oil cooler issue

Knowledgebase archive and UPGRADE MODS

Moderator: Moderators

Zzr600 oil cooler issue

Postby ZZR600Eddy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi all...bloody bike! ZZR600D. Just fixed it ready for lush sunny weather (Starter motor issue), & today notice smoke coming from under bellypan. Turns out oil leaking onto downpipe. Removed bellypan and leak coming from one side banjo bolt on oil cooler. Cleaned and checked for cracks but oil cooler ok..it appears to leak only from the bolt on bottom right (that holds pipe in place). Sourced both a bolt and washer but can anyone tell me size of washer-seal? The bolt is 14mm. Would any washer do? Don't fancy doing a bodge job with chem metal. Thanks for any advice!
ZZR600Eddy

Geographic Location: Gateshead
My Bike Make: ZZR600
Engine Size: 599
Model: D

Re: Zzr600 oil cooler issue

Postby Brett » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:45 am

Generally banjo joints seal with a copper washer, pretty sure you'll be able to find one of the standard "industrial" ones suitable - check with an hydraulics place?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Advanced Rider

Geographic Location: Perth [WA]
My Bike Make: Kawasaki
Engine Size: 1100
Model: ZZR

Re: Zzr600 oil cooler issue

Postby jimzzr » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:59 pm

In my experience of this issue is that the leaking was caused by hairline fractures of the ally nut on the oil cooler. Barely visible but expanded under load causing leakage. I think the standard washers were ally rather than copper. Hopefully it's just the washers but in the end I had to get a replacement oil cooler. The other problem I had was that the flexible hose rubbed together and eventually wore through causing a not inconsiderable amount of smoke and oil consumption.

Cheers

Jim
jimzzr
Club Racer

Return to ZZR 600 / ZX6 (D&E)